Package review backlog.

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 11 13:25:15 UTC 2008

Am Freitag, den 10.10.2008, 20:22 -0700 schrieb John Poelstra:
> David Woodhouse said the following on 10/10/2008 07:30 AM Pacific Time:

> >> [snipped]
> >>
> >> As a rule of thumb it's ok, but it should not be mandatory. I think the
> >> FESCo members are already having a lot of work to do and I'm not sure if
> >> everybody has enough spare time for reviews.
> >
> > Absolutely. Besides, if you do call it 'mandatory' you have to start
> > defining what would happen if people don't comply, and the whole thing
> > just gets silly.
> >
> > I'm talking about a 'recommended practice', and just asking people each
> > week which packages they've looked at. Nothing more.
> >
> > And even though people are busy, it shouldn't actually take _that_ long
> > to make progress on reviewing a single package, each week.
> >

> http://tinyurl.com/4kt682
> 1,212 open Package Review bugs

Thanks for putting up this link, but I think the number is misleading,
because it includes a high number of reviews that are already assigned
and/or have the flag set to "fedora‑review?" A lot of them are waiting
for response from the review requester. AFAICS you searched for all
reviews that are not yet closed, right?

But this reminds me of another problem, which is IMO more important:

I have to admit that I'm one of those who have a negative balance, I own
more packages than I did reviews. But this is mostly due to the number
of xfce4-panel plugins I own and they are very trivial to review.

Back to my problem:
I would have love to do more reviews, but I'm having a hard time trying
to find suitable reviews. Back in those days, when we had the tracker
bugs it was easy: I bookmarked the tracker bug in dependance view, so I
could see all info I need at a glance. Now that we have the reviews with
flags I don't even know how to search bugzilla, because I want to search
only for reviews that don't have a flag set. How to achieve that? When I
search for all review requests with

      * status=new
      * flag is not equal to fedora-review?
      * and
      * flag is not equal to fedora-review+

Bugzilla returns "This list is too long for Red Hat Bugzilla's little
mind..." What I'm I doing wrong?

Christoph