default XFCE layout

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Oct 11 21:26:20 UTC 2008

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 22:17:04 +0300
alsadi at gmail.com ("Muayyad AlSadi") wrote:

> after some talk with nirik ( who maintain many xfce4 but not like
> xfce-panel which is responsible on the layout) he suggested
> nirik: I would say post to the dev list and suggest your layout and
> ask if there has been thought to the default layout for 4.6 and see if
> they have further ideas?

Sorry, I meant the Xfce dev list there.

> my suggestion is to take in consideration that xfce users usually have
> less ram, less resolution because XFCE is light yet feature full
>
> I suggest having only one panel
> which have
> menu
> some launchers
> separator
> window list (taskbar)
> workspace switcher in two rows to save space
> systray
> clock
> volume mixer
>
> here is a screen shot
> http://img353.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xfce4layoutck3.png

My thoughts (as I said on IRC):

- We should talk with upstream. If you have a great idea for a layout
that works better as a default, why not get it in for all Xfce users?

- Such default layouts are very much a matter of taste. I am not a
Human Interface Design person or a Usability tester. You might have
more luck finding such a person upstream. Ie, its very hard to quantify
what is "better" about your suggested default.

Thanks for providing the input!

kevin