reviving Fedora Legacy

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sat Oct 11 22:28:50 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 12:17:05AM +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 12:01:35AM +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> >
> > It didn't work with the limited number of packages in 1, 2 and 3 - why (or
> > how) should it work now with the much larger number of packages available
> > for F9/10/11? The workload for maintaining legacy systems has increased
> > manyfold. Sure, the number of people involved also has increased, but ...
>
> There are many other differences. We can use the rules of fedora (and
> could use the infrastructure). And after the merging there are more
> involvment of the community in maintaining packages. I was interested in
> legacy at some point, but everything was so different than in fedora
> extras that it deterred me.

There also doesn't need to be a requirement that every single package
in the Everything repo be maintained for a longer time.  We could
start with some of the spins, like Fedora spin, which contains most of
the "core" packages.  Interested contributors would need to commit to
support either their own packages for a longer term, or other packages
where the current Fedora maintainer doesn't want to do long term
maintenance.  This would be simlar to how EPEL works, but for Fedora
releases.