CMake!

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 18:05:36 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 <at> freenet.de> writes:
>> On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 01:20 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> CMake is used by all of KDE 4, and several other projects have switched to
> CMake following that example (or in some cases, because the KDE Window$ porters
> did the port for them), and I'm not aware of anyone having switched back.

Ok the problem is that build tools are one of the things developers
build strong relationships with (System administrators build it with
their mail handler tools). You point out the deficiencies in someones
choices of tools and the brain begins attack/flight/protect hormone
chains. The same emotional centers in the brain as if you had picked
up an axe and pointed it at someones family. The hormones get
triggered and all logic circuits are cut off until the testosterone
and serotonin get back down to lower levels. [I think its serotonin..
it may be one of the other brain chemicals that get fired off in big
numbers when this occurs.]

The best part of this is that your logical parts of your brain are
'tricked' into saying "This is the most logical thing to do" although
3 or 4 days later you might regret it (though reading past emails will
probably trigger the same chemical reactiosn and you wont disagree but
even send one or two more emails to prove your point.)

So basically this conversation is a 'dead' conversation. People have
their hairs on their necks up, testosterone pumping to put 3 or 4
beards in a day, and are to the flinging poo part. At this point,
there is no way either side is going to say that Cmake is better at
this, or Autotools is better than that..

Wait a week, and see if one can bridge the gap with some diplomatic
discourse. Yes diplomatic discourse uses a lot of soft words and will
spend a week talking around the point before bringing it up.. but
thats because its meant to get around the human brains stupidity.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux