reviving Fedora Legacy

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Oct 13 07:12:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 15:12 +1300, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> >> open?  Without a firm timeline on when to close a branch.. will we
> >> ever see a branch close?
> >
> > Why would we want to? Just let things going as long as there is at least one
> > maintainer committing something. Even if not all security issues get fixed,
> > it's better than if none gets fixed.
>
> I don't think anyone would sign up as a user for such "support". LTS
> is about a fairly specific promise that is very hard to commit to.
How so? It would be a legacy effort, run by volunteers, no guarantees,
no commitments.

> The work I am doing would definitely benefit from having some Fedora
> releases turn into LTS, even if it's perhaps for clearly defined a
> subset of packages. What Ubuntu does with it's LTS is hard for the
> distro team but is excellent for "users" (re-spinners) like OLPC.
Yes, but their notion of "LTS" is different from that of the "Legacy
Fedora" we are discussing here.

> At the moment, it's not clear to me (perhaps because I haven't read
> the appropriate doco...)
>
>  - Which Fedora release becomes the base for the next RH/CentOS release.
Pardon, to me that's a RH internal business, not of any importance to
Fedora.

>  - How I transition my userbase from Fedora support to CentOS support at EOL
This thought is exactly what I am aiming against. I want to people to
stay with Fedora, which would imply them  to upgrade to a newer Fedora,
instead of seeing them switching away from Fedora.

> So I think it is a fair expectation to be able to "follow" a Fedora
> release into its RH/CentOS stabilisation, knowing that the process
> exists and that the stable branches are published. It definitely works
> for other distros. Perhaps it's possible with Fedora -- hints and
> pointers welcome.
>
> But I would not sign up for the "whatever" support plan some people
> are suggesting -- how the hell do I plan for it? Ah, some things might
> get patched, some might not, and we won't know or tell in advance.
Right, but if you are consequent, you could start with the latest
released CentOS/RHEL right from the beginning instead of Fedora.
Besides the fact that the Fedora->RHEL upgrade path is unsupported (and
will never be complete), you'd loose some "technology preview", however
you would avoid "the Fedora hassle" more or less entirely.

Ralf