Suggested packaging guideline: avoid running autoreconf

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Mon Oct 13 14:08:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 09:35 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Braden McDaniel <braden <at> endoframe.com> writes:
> > Do you also want to use doxygen to regenerate API documentation
>
> Yes, definitely! In fact, the KDE packages already do this. And have to do it,
> because KDE does not include Doxygen output in their tarballs (and rightfully
> so).
>
> > included in a tarball
>
> You're incorrectly assuming it is shipped in the tarball in the first place.

No, I'm not.  I'm talking specifically about cases where it is.

> > despite the fact that a different doxygen version's subtle
> > stylesheet and markup changes could totally mangle the docs?
>
> I've yet to see that happen. Maybe Doxygen simply cares more about backwards
> compatibility than the autotools.

Then you haven't been looking very hard. Or you're just looking at
packages which use nearly all of the doxygen default settings.  Because
this sort of breakage happens quite frequently with doxygen.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>