reviving Fedora Legacy

orion at cora.nwra.com orion at cora.nwra.com
Mon Oct 13 14:35:41 UTC 2008

> Obviously we wouldn't upgrade F8 to KDE 4!
>
> If anything, we'd upgrade it to newer 3.5.x releases, but even that is not
> necessary because KDE is among the few upstream projects who publish
> backported
> security patches for older releases, so we do not have to backport
> anything on
> our own, just apply the security fixes from KDE. We could stay on 3.5.10
> for
> years, and that also works for branches like 4.0, 4.1 or 4.2 which aren't
> as
> long-lived as 3.5.
>
>          Kevin Kofler

This is the issue I face at the moment.  I've felt that KDE4 is just not
ready for me to upgrade to at work, so I've stuck with F8.  This has
happened a couple time over Fedora history, although for different reason,
where I've had to skip a release or two (at least now skipping a release
is supported).  CentOS is really not an option (for laptops and desktop)
due to lack of support for very current hardware and I'm not aware of KDE
for CentOS.

But this is a specific issue with a specific set of releases.  I'm not
sure it warrants a general policy, with the possible exception of simply
(is this really simple?) keeping Fedora infrastructure open for updates
for F-8 past the scheduled EOL.

- Orion