The Big ACL Opening

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Thu Oct 16 17:28:06 UTC 2008

> On Wed, 15.10.08 15:18, Casey Dahlin (cdahlin at redhat.com) wrote:
>
>> What will happen is all packages which are now set to be private,
>> accessible by their maintainers and a few specific individuals only,
>> will be opened up to all überpackager members. Members of überpackager
>> represent a filtered minority of CVS comitters, but membership is easy
>> to come by for anyone that asks.
>
> Hmm, am I the only one who finds the choice of the term "überpackager"
> a bit questionnable?
>
> I am assuming this refers to Nietzsche's "Übermensch" which to start
> with is not a particular sympathetic idea to many. What I find
> particularly problematic however is that at least in Germany this term
> more often than not implies some kind of connection to, uhh, certain
> dark times about 60 years ago.
>
> Prefixing things with "über-" seems to be popular in the english
> speaking world these days. In the German language it is however not
> common to build new words with that prefix -- and the aforementioned
> connotation plays a role in that.
>
> I don't think using smelly worlds like that one and forgetting about their
> history would be good for a formalized workflow like ours in
> Fedora. I mean, we are supposed to be democratic with all our
> board elections and stuff. But, uh, using Nazi terminology is not a
> good way to promote that.
>
> Or, if we have "Überpackagers", maybe it's time to rename normal
> packagers to "Unterpackagers"? That would fit awfully well into our
> pursuit for world domination, wouldn't it?

Point taken, but in all honesty, this has been being bandied about for
awhile.  Wouldn't have been more expedient to contribute to the naming
discussion before extensive infrastructure changes we made?

I mean, I agree with you to some extent, but the goat has already run off
with the burrito, so to speak.

> Lennart
>
> --

novus ordo absurdum