Re: Sendmail still default?

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

i've just wondered why sendmail is still the default MTA in Fedora.
Please enlighten me?
It works.

Sort of

What does that mean? It delivers most of the mail on the internet and always has.

Even though the original design and code weren't particularly secure,
the current version is probably one of the most audited pieces of code
and

And upstream has such a confidence in the result they're rewriting it
from scratch.

And its not the first time. All good programs are periodically rewritten and improved.

the milter capability lets you extend it with features that don't
share the full permissions of the main process yet can interact in
real time during delivery.

Milter is supported by alternatives too

They pretend to, but won't actually run complex milters like MimeDefang.

Not that I particularly want to shoot ambulances, but those are not
good arguments.

Sorry, but I don't see any counterargument here. The alternatives are all worse.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com