Sendmail still default?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 19:33:34 UTC 2008

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> [...]
>>> Milter is supported by alternatives too
>> They pretend to, but won't actually run complex milters like MimeDefang.
>
> Postfix will: http://www.mimedefang.org/kwiki/index.cgi?Milter
> Milter and Postfix
>
> The Postfix MTA implemented partial Milter support in version 2.3 and more
> complete support in 2.4. See http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html for
> details. MIMEDefang 2.63 works with Postfix.
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting - that doesn't seem to be generally known.  I hadn't seen it
mentioned on the MimeDefang list.  Maybe it is just because the
distributions stable enough to be used as a mail server don't include
2.4 yet.

>>> Not that I particularly want to shoot ambulances, but those are not
>>> good arguments.
>> Sorry, but I don't see any counterargument here.  The alternatives are
>> all worse.
>
> Postfix is not worse. I'd argue that's it's better in every respect,
> but I guess you wouldn't listen anyway and I'm a bit short on time.

It's worse at backwards compatibility.  Fedora seems to assume that
their users don't already have something working, so maybe that's not a
concern to anyone here.  If it shipped with a decked-out, well tested
setup already integrated with MimeDefang/clamd/spamassassin it might be
enough of an improvement to switch.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com