Re: The Big ACL Opening

On Fri, 17.10.08 12:46, Jon Ciesla (limb jcomserv net) wrote:

> An interesting irony here is that while Nietzsche's Ubermensch is best
> translated as Overman, for English, it's commonly mistranslated as
> Superman, and so Superpackager "sounds" more like what Lennart was getting
> at than does Uberpackager.  To me, anyway.

Uh, no. The problem I see is specifically with the german language
prefix "Über-" used (as prefix to a word of any other language) as
some kind of superlative when used in reference to Nietzsche's
"Übermensch" -- because that term at least Germany has been
appropriated by the Nazis.

I fully understand that not everyone is aware of this connection,
especially outside of Germany. But uh, in Germany it is very obvious.

Also note that the "über" in the first stanza of the "Deutschlandlied"
played a role in the decision to make only the third stanza the German
anthem. (i.e. "Deutschland, Deutschland, über alles.")

Lennart