uberpackager rename (was Re: The Big ACL Opening)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 13:33:28 UTC 2008

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 09:18 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> So I'm going to do this tomorrow or have to put it off until after
>> change freeze.
>>
>> The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the
>> apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most like what
>> we're modeling here.
>>
>> I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager, superpackager, etc but
>> can everyone live with this?
>
> No, I'm offended by the idea that a common root used in many geek words
> can so easily be declared 'unclean' and eradicated. This is political
> correctness at its worst, and I find it horrifically offensive. And
> that's a _current_ issue, not one from the previous millennium.
>
> I have no particular attachment to the 'überpackager' name, but I object
> strongly to the change on _principle_. Please leave it as it was.

I'll comment on this:

I kinda agree with you on the principle of the thing.

However, I also just plain don't like uberpackager.  uber has the
connotation of "superior" where I think the group name should be
shooting for the meanings of "more experienced", "proven" and "trusted".

So "ultrapackager", "superpackager", and other prefixes that mean
"superior" would be changing the name just because we want to
self-censor our use of the prefix "uber" due to feeling the word is unclean.

I see changing to "masterpackager", "provenpackager", "trustedpackager",
"experiencedpackager" as a change to be closer to what differentiates
the group from "packager".  The fact that it doesn't have the
connotations of uber that started the discussion is an additional plus.

Note that if tibbs is serious about the master/slave connotation, I'd be
happy to change to "provenpackager" instead of "masterpackager" at this
time.  But once the change is made, I'd be less inclined to change since
it would be a change just for the political correctness aspect, not to
be closer to the true meaning of the group.

-Toshio