Sendmail still default?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 15:31:49 UTC 2008

Enrico Scholz wrote:
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> One of my choices of tests on an inbound relay machine has been to
>> check that the user exists using an smtp check against the internal
>> delivery host.  How would I do that on an MTA that does not handle
>> milters?
>
> Milters are bad for rcpt verification (at least in sendmail) because they
> happen before alias/virtusertable expansion. Custom 'Local_check_rcpt'
> rules plus tables like

In my case, this happens on external relays that have neither aliases
nor users of its own.  The idea is to make sure the internal target
would accept the address as a user or alias without having to update the
external relay's virtuser database every time an internal user or alias
changes.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com