uberpackager rename (was Re: The Big ACL Opening)

Orcan Ogetbil orcanbahri at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 19:40:50 UTC 2008

--- On Mon, 10/20/08, Casey Dahlin <cdahlin at redhat.com> wrote:

> From: Casey Dahlin <cdahlin at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: uberpackager rename (was Re: The Big ACL Opening)
> To: "Development discussions related to Fedora" <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Monday, October 20, 2008, 3:25 PM
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > David Woodhouse <dwmw2 <at> infradead.org>
> writes:
> >
> >> No, I'm offended by the idea that a common
> root used in many geek words
> >>

> > ... by ignorant Americans who are unaware of the true
> meaning of that term!
> >

> Right! Because all true meaning comes from Europe. Any
> meaning which
> might exist in America is just pretend. Only European
> meanings are true.

Yes, unfortunately that's a fact. We chose to use a European language as the primary language here in US, which was (IMHO) wrong since there were many native tongues that could be used. Hence I think we deserve such "accusations".

"Uber" is not the only word that got a wrong transfer into English. Another example, which is a lot worse, is "Gift"*. I don't see any reason of promoting the usage of such wrong transfers. It hurts languages, both English and that language the word is transferred from.

> --CJD

*For the curious, the true meaning of "gift" is "poison".

-oget