None of the Above (was Re: Sendmail still default?)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 14:01:46 UTC 2008

Phil Knirsch wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Chris Adams wrote:
>>>
>>> Most _interactive_ users do.  Most automated tasks (e.g. cron) do not
>>> have any queueing.
>>
>> Even if you are trying to dumb the system down to a Mac's
>> pseudo-single-user style, you still need crontab and mail to work - as
>> it does on a Mac.
>>

> What happens to emails generated on a Max OSX via crontab or any other
> automated system? Does it run sendmail or some equivalent of it?

10.5 runs postfix.

> Just curious how they solve it as on a Mac i'd bet you that hardly any
> typical user will know what root is.

I don't think anything in the default install sends mail, but if as a
user you use 'crontab -e' to create a crontab entry, the output is
delivered to /var/mail/yourlogin and the command line mail and mailx
programs know where to find it as expected on any unix-like system.
Or you can set MAILTO=  in the crontab if you want it elsewhere.
Following standards is a good thing...

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com