Window / Screen question

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Wed Oct 22 18:52:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

   This isn't a fedora question specifically, however just thought I'd
run it by to get some feedback.

   I've had a multi-card/multi-monitor setup for a few months now. It
has been a royal pain. (Only the closed drivers can handle it
unfortunately). I was talking to the radeon/ati driver people and have
been informed that multi-card setups don't get much love from either the
driver developers or upstream/xorg. So I've figured I may move from 3
monitors back to 2 larger (24") monitors. So after that history, here
comes the idea...

   I'm wondering if it is possible to have 'fake' monitor
borders/dimensions. So you instruct xorg/gnome/xinerama or whatever that
the 1900 pixel width is 2/3rd + 1/3rd. If I were to click maximize
within either of those imaginary borders, it would maximize to that size
instead of the 1900 px width. If I double clicked, it would then go
fullscreen...

Does this sound at all useful? Opinions / critiques...

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
Gnat Solutions, Inc