Window / Screen question

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Oct 23 02:10:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:52:16PM -0600, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
>   I'm wondering if it is possible to have 'fake' monitor
> borders/dimensions. So you instruct xorg/gnome/xinerama or whatever that
> the 1900 pixel width is 2/3rd + 1/3rd. If I were to click maximize within
> either of those imaginary borders, it would maximize to that size instead
> of the 1900 px width. If I double clicked, it would then go fullscreen...
> Does this sound at all useful? Opinions / critiques...

XFCE has a feature almost like this in its Workspace Margins. You could tell
it to leave a 633-pixel margin at the right side of the screen, and windows
will be maximized to the area except for that. You can't double-click to go
full-screen, but you can still resize (or move) the window manually into
that area.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect