R-devel going away

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 23 18:22:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 10:42 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> > > * The size of the R-devel is tiny, about 440K installed.

 Also, even without the deps.: yum list-installed-sizes \*-devel

...440K is way past the 50% mark for the size of a *-devel package.

> These are very good points, thanks Enrico. What would people think about
> doing the suggested R/R-core/R-devel split instead? Users would still be
> able to get everything with yum install R, it would meet the guidelines,
> and minimal installs with R can simply have R-core.

 Well it kinda fits the "people expect foo-core + additions" _assuming_
CRAN is a requirement, but really why don't we just package more of the
R modules so CRAN usage isn't a requirement?

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora