Regarding install options

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 18:26:11 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 20:05 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > The "Feature" exists. You get it by de-selecting every box in anaconda.
>
> I unsure if I agree or not, but one things seems obvious to me: The
> current solution doesn't satisfy a lot of people (actually "it confuses
> people" might be the the better description).

And so did the "minimal" offerings of past.

> So if there are people
> that want to work out a better solution please let them just do that; if
> you think that clutters the UI then bring that point up; but just
> repeatably stating that it's hard to pick the "minimal package set"
> doesn't bring us any further.

I've stated over and over again that you're welcome to try.  I even
pointed out that Comps is the place to do it, and that is even open for
commit access.  So far, I haven't seen any real discussion or changes
there.

> > A committee of interested people aren't going to magically make new UI
> > show up in anaconda, that has to be done through the anaconda upstream
> > and maintainers.
>
> Sounds yet again like you want to shoot the discussion down, as you make
> it sound like getting things into anaconda is something totally
> impossible.

Not at all.  However this particular thing I don't see a lot of chance
of getting in, at least not in the previously suggested ways.

>  But luckily Fedora and anaconda are open-source projects;

As I stated.

> Red Hat even opened RHL/started Fedora to give the community a chance to
> influence and improve things like that. So give them a chance to do
> that; yes, it's maybe won't be easy to realize with a clean UI, but I'm
> optimistic it's possible somehow.

Isn't that why I said to go through the anaconda upstream and
maintainers to get such a change in?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!