R-devel going away

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 23 21:10:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 19:41 +0100, José Matos wrote:
> On Thursday 23 October 2008 19:22:07 James Antill wrote:
> >  Well it kinda fits the "people expect foo-core + additions" _assuming_
> > CRAN is a requirement, but really why don't we just package more of the
> > R modules so CRAN usage isn't a requirement?
>
> There are more than 1500 modules (the have been growing at an exponential rate
> in the last years). So while we would like to see more R packages in Fedora in
> are not even near to have a reasonable subset of R packaged.

 My main concern was that you could use that argument a lot (there are
probably still more unpackaged libc using things than packaged).
 But I ran:

 repoquery --whatrequires '*-devel' | \
   fgrep -v -- '-devel-' | \
   fgrep -v -- '-static-'

...and there's a lot of stuff there, including a lot of the "small"
languages (and perl-core, although that's not actually required by perl
which seems like a bug). So this isn't unusual (bad spot for asking,
instead of just doing it like everyone else ;).

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora