Re: X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Chuck Anderson wrote:
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 02:40:51PM +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
I hope it might be possible, by changing the order in upstart -- ie. first run mingetty, then gdm (as for years before). Perhaps also restore mingetty on tty1 ...

By the way, I cannot understand why gdm, when running before mingetty (for better startup speed), must be run on tty1 only. It seems that it should be possible to run it before, but cause it to use tty7.

It is insignificant for end users on what tty X run. But for other users, it is better to preserve compatibility with 10+ years.

I can help to make changes for invoking X on tty7 instead of tty1 .

It seems an insignificant use case to keep compatibility with X on tty7 compared to the benefits of progress--in this case one less VT change on bootup means less flicker and faster bootup.

I mean "X before console's tty" as well, but instead of "first X on tty1, then consoles on tty2-6", I propose "first X on tty7, then consoles on tty1-6". In other words, preserve both the compatibility and the faster bootup.

~buc