X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Tue Oct 28 13:43:21 UTC 2008

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 4:40 AM, Dmitry Butskoy <buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru> wrote:
>
>> By the way, I cannot understand why gdm, when running before mingetty (for
>> better startup speed), must be run on tty1 only. It seems that it should be
>> possible to run it before, but cause it to use tty7.
>>

> It's not for speed, it's so there will be no VT switching when booting.

Does such a one switching cost so much?

> Why is it significant what tty any program runs on? Isn't the
> assumption that getty will be on tty1 just as faulty as the assumption
> X will be on tty7?

Nope.

First, it is long precedent.

Second, there are non-GUI installations (including those where X invoked
by "startx" from runlevel 3). Hence it looks strange to count tty
consoles starting from 2 (instead of 1). Some people will be shocked,
whereas such a shocking seems not necessary for the faster bootup feature.

~buc