Re: X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Casey Dahlin (cdahlin redhat com) said:
Imho then the kernel should be patched to start booting graphically using tty7 and not tty1. Then you have no switching and do not disturb text-only machines.
Having the kernel parse its own commandline for a runlevel (a concept that has
nothing to do with the kernel, and doesn't even exist under some init systems)
and then choosing to rearrange the tty init sequence based on that?
I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant simply for tty7 to always be the active tty on boot. That's a bit easier to stomach.

If you don't add the bits I mentioned, then you'll get a blank tty7
when you boot in text mode. Which is presumably not what you want.

Bill

We could either offer a getty on tty7 (not too hard) or we could instead add a small API to the kernel that would allow remapping which F key went to which tty, so you could have ctrl+alt+f1 bring up tty7. That way we could remap things so the user got the correct behavior.

We wouldn't have to actually /do/ this, but if the API were there, we can tell the people who care to go figure it out.

--CJD