WPA without NetworkManager (was: Re: X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 13:47:13 UTC 2008

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski (dominik at greysector.net) said:
> > Possibly because that particular patch wasn't ever in bugzilla (AFAICT.)
>
> It was, although it contained reindentation cosmetics. I only cleaned it up.

Not in either of the open bugs about wpa & initscripts. Perhaps it's
hiding somewhere else. (The ones in the open bugs were 'start WPA
supplicant and magically hope it associates in time'.)

> > It's certainly a better one, but there's still the problem of entirely
> > disparate configuration (manually editing wpa_supplicant.conf, etc.)
>
> What's wrong with manually editing wpa_supplicant.conf?

For WEP, you put keys <in one place>. For WPA you put keys and networks <this
entirely separate place and format>. It's a hack.

Bill