Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 13:53:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:37:51 -0600, "Stephen John Smoogen" <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Actually I was thinking about this on the way home. One of the issues
>> with communicating these things is that we do have to regularly spam
>> lists with whats going on... its part of being a big group.. you have
>> to communicate regularly, clearly, and precisely. []
>
> Look, the problem here is, it was inconceivable to everyone involved
> that this little thing will get someone's panty in a wad. It's utter
> non-problem, despite all the pages and pages and pages of rhethoric
> about some manuals or whatnot. It's madness. Attempting to communicate
> any such insignificant matter regularly, clearly, and precisely is
> a recipy for people's eyes glazing over. I don't even read meeting
> minutes these days. If things like X on tty1 start to appear in
> regular communications, I'll have to filter out more.

Jeff asked for an approach to deal with this in the future, I gave a strawman.

What is the equivalent change in the Linux kernel? A userland API
change? While its more likely a 15+ year old side-effect, at what
point do those get treated like API's (my memory of LWN's Linux page
says that they have been treated as such before and needed to be dealt
with accordingly)? How are those dealt with?

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux