Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 21:19:53 UTC 2008

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

>>> I've had with Fedora 8/9 is the cr*p nvidia drivers don't work quite
>>> right on my setup, and that's hardly Fedora's fault.
>>
>> It is fedora's fault that their policy makes it difficult for you to
>> run vendor drivers.
>
> I'm sure this wasn't your intent anyway, but please don't put words in
> my mouth :-). I happen to *agree* with the policy. The problem, rather -
> at least as I see it - is simply that nvidia's drivers suck :-).

Nobody can write code that always survives changes in non-standard
interfaces.  Nvidia's drivers for OS's that provide stable interfaces
work fine.

> Which
> is hardly Fedora's fault;

Well, it is a generic Linux problem, but fedora could make it easier for
the users by not pushing out interface changes without coordinating with
driver providers.

> if nvidia would get with the program and make
> Free and Open drivers, then maybe they could be fixed.

Probably not - they would just be in the same shape as firewire and scsi
drivers that go months/years with bugs that don't get fixed.

>>> Maintenance... sure, I run 'yum update' every few days, big deal :-).
>>
>> I don't mind running the update - it's when things don't work
>> afterwards or a remote machine doesn't come back after a reboot that
>> is the problem.
>
> I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I've never had such
> problems, though.

Maybe the person who builds the kernels has the same disk hardware as
you and has some reason to care if it works.

> Given what it is, I'm sure some people have trouble with Fedora, and you
> have my sympathy if you're one of them. I'm not convinced, however, that
> such problems are the norm and not the exception.

And I'm not convinced that anyone even tries anything that matters with
fedora - or runs it across a large variety of hardware.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com