Dia has .la files

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Oct 31 21:21:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Jerry James <loganjerry at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Debarshi Ray <debarshi.ray at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I noticed that the dia package has %{_libdir}/%{name}/*.la files. Any
>>> particular reason for them to be there? Doesn't guidelines ask us to
>>> remove them?
>>
>> Yes, please remove them.  We should not encourage the libtool agenda
>> to redefine how shared libraries work on our platform.
>
> I've got quite a collection of .la files under /usr/lib64 on my Fedora
> 9 x86_64 machine.  All of the following packages contain at least one
> .la file:

Really we need a post-build (BRP) hook in RPM to nuke them instead of
copy&paste of rm into spec files.

The ideal of course would be to convince libtool upstream that trying
to change the entire world to use libtool makes a lot less sense than
having those few modules that interact with shared libraries have
platform-specific code.

-- Colin, who spent too much time this week battling libtool while
working on http://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection/