Re: Dependency loops considered harmful?

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 18:58:35 +0200, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

> For example, why games data depend on binaries?

I've also questioned that before. It boils down to a matter of
convenience. It's packagers who say that the data pkgs are not usable
without the game program, and therefore they want to avoid the
scenario where somebody installs a game data pkg that doesn't result
in a working game in the desktop menu. Hence game data and game
program are tied to eachother in both directions.

> What do you think? Are loops something that we should try to avoid?

Yes. IIRC, there are even some weird loops where after a package split
a new sub-package depends on the main package and vice versa.