ext4 testing in the F10 release cycle

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 02:13:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 20:06 -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > Chris Snook wrote:
> >> c)	Put an alignment option in the installer, so people can optimize their
> >> partitions and filesystems for SSDs, RAID, and anything else where alignment
> >> matters.
> >
> > mkfs should be doing this, not the installer.  mkfs.xfs does;
> > mkfs.ext$FOO should too.
>
> I should qualify that; "can" if it's on storage that can be queried (md,
> lvm, etc - but not some random hardware scsi lun ... for that case
> perhaps installer tweaks maybe, but how often do you really install onto
> these things at anaconda-time?

mkfs should be able to query scsi info about a block device just as well
as anaconda...  Arguably it could be done in anaconda first just to show
that it works nicely (as python is easier to hack on ;-)

But it definitely should be "hardware as seen as blah, do the right
thing" as opposed to "make the user figure it out".

Also, there are some additional complications once you start thinking
about things like the live install where we just dd over the filesystem
and then resize rather than doing a whole new one.

Jeremy