Dependency loops considered harmful?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Sep 4 13:08:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 01:25:10PM +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:

> Moreover, even if it didn't help your developer (and I claim that
> it would), I would still prefer solution which cures problems of
> at least normal users and wouldn't help developers (who should
> now how to fix their system).

It is not unusual, at least for me, to install a devel package for
itself but also its dependencies, so for example I install libY-devel to
have both libX-devel and libY-devel, with libX-devel depending on
libY-devel. I wouldn't like to have libX-devel removed when I remove
libY-devel. And it isn't necessarily only for -devel packages, it could
also be for documentation/typesetting systems.

--
Pat