Re: Dependency loops considered harmful?

Patrice Dumas wrote:
On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 01:31:56PM -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
...which is, in a sense, the real problem. The issue as I see it is that rolling an RPM takes a *lot* more time and effort than 'make install', especially with CMake (2.6 does /very/ fast installs). It would be REALLY GOOD to install everything as an rpm (not least because this would clean up cruft from old builds!), but it needs to be fast, and it needs to be do-able without using root privilege. Otherwise I think the costs will outweigh the benefits for a lot of people.

In many situations rolling a rpm doesn't make sense. An easy example is
numerical models. You compile it, run it and there is absolutely no reason to make it a package.

Sure, but if you didn't install it, you've obviated half the benefit anyway. I'm interested in things that get installed.

--
Matthew
On the internet, no one knows you're a cat...