Re: Boot speedup with readahead

mån 2008-09-08 klockan 00:52 +0200 skrev Mark:

> > Shut down and boot an Apple Macintosh running current OS X 10.5.4.
> > As part of shutting down, it builds a RAM disk of what will be needed
> > at next boot, then saves the RAM disk to hard disk.

> I've been wondering if that was possible or not. Now since you told it
> is (for mac) i wonder if something like it exists for linux..

At the Ottawa Linux Symposium the following presentation was
done:
http://tree.celinuxforum.org/CelfPubWiki/OttawaLinuxSymposium2006?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=snapshot-boot-final.pdf

The name is "snapshot boot" and it works well for systems with
well-written drivers. (Like some embedded...)

Linus