make force-tag gone

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 15:10:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Jon Ciesla wrote:

> > Mike McGrath wrote:
> >

> >> In fairness... you should be testing things before you commit them
> >
> > Of course.  I've been hit by this a lot with local builds working, but
> > rawhide builds that fail (for whatever reason, new rpm, wierd build deps
> > breaking, etc...).
>
> I have issues, also, where something succeeds in a local build, is fine
> oin i386 mock, but dies in ppc, x86_64, etc.

So why would you make a change to the spec file, without bumping the
release?  Also there's an auditing GPL legal reason (IIRC) that we're
doing this now.  The bottom line is this:

Make change to a spec file.

Bump release.

Its a simple workflow that provides an audit trail that we believe will
keep us in compliance with the GPL.  force-tag is sort of nice to have I
guess, but release bumps happen all the time by everyone its not a high
barrier to get releases out.

I'm not sure what else to say, its not going to happen guys unless you can
come up with a different audit trail that will keep us in compliance with
the GPL and satisfies legal.

	-Mike