Re: make force-tag gone

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 05:39:48PM +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Jeffrey Ollie <jeff <at> ocjtech.us> writes:
Refusing to bump a release number and re-tag because you don't want to
"look stupid" is not a technical argument.
Maybe, but it's a practical argument.

And before you ask, yes I've used force-tag before even though I know
I shouldn't.  Removing it will help me be a better package manager.
No, it will make you a worse packager, as your Release tags will get incremented for no reason.

It is far far worse than this. If you made a mistake doing an update
for Fedora 8, and have to bump the Release tag, its quite possible
F8 will end up with newer N-E-V-R, than your F9 & rawhide builds
breaking the upgrade path. So, now you have to re-build F9 and rawhide
with pointless Release tag bumps too :-(

Unless of course you bump the release after the disttag, e.g. %{?dist}.1, in which case you won't break the upgrade path and everything will be hunky-dory.

Paul.