Re: recover from broken yum transaction

Trying rpm -Va, I am getting lots of these lines

S.?.....    /usr/bin/kblankscrn.kss
S.?.....    /usr/bin/kcminit
S.?.....    /usr/bin/kcminit_startup

Basically, the size has changed, and the md5 check cannot be performed ?! I understand this is due to "prelink", but that sux ! This effectively kills the rpm -V functionality. Is it not possible to prelink binaries on the server before wrapping them into rpms ? Any suggested solution around this ?

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Martin Langhoff <martin langhoff gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal fedoraproject org> wrote:
> When this happens you should run:
> yum-complete-transaction

Interesting toy! I think you mentioned it at Fudcon Boston and I
hadn't been able to recall the right name.

Thinking of using it in the use case of the school server (very
unreliable power, no sysadmins available, 100% unattended updates) -

 - Is it safe to run at boot time via an init script?
 - Is there an easy way to check for pending transactions?
 - Does it have useful exit codes indicating whether it's done anything?

> I'd recommend package-cleanup --cleandupes

Another good tool to add to the arsenal.

> then run:
> rpm -Va and look for problems in files in /usr/lib /lib/ /boot, and all
> of the bin dirs.

Is that different from `package-cleanup --problems` ?

cheers,

 martin langhoff gmail com
 martin laptop org -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions