Re: Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

On 11/09/2008, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa gmail com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:14 AM, Bill Crawford
> <billcrawford1970 gmail com> wrote:
>> On 11/09/2008, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa gmail com> wrote:
>>
>>> * Sounblaster Live 5.1 PCI -- has full 6 channel audio before, I had
>>> for a short while after enabling it as per the pulseaudio wiki, but no
>>> more
>>
>> If it's one of the SBs with multiple hardware channels, unless you are
>> likely to want >32 separate apps pumping out sound at once, disable PA
>> and just access the card through ALSA directly. It's worked ok for me
>> :o)
>

> I'm pretty sure disabling PulseAudio will work since it worked before
> PulseAudio. But disabling it defeats the purpose.

If you have multi-channel hardware that mixes itself, then using
PulseAudio sort of defeats the purpose of that hardware ;o)

I'll accept the argument about allowing mixing with different volume
levels from different sources, but in theory that can be done via ALSA
if the hardware allows it.