Re: modesetting feature status

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 11:06 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
... we really shouldn't shove in major changes like this for a
significant chunk of hardware post-beta.  Putting it in the beta means
that we get a relatively large chunk of testing done due to the
visibility surrounding the beta announce.  As well as having time to fix
large problems that are uncovered.  Later milestones both a) lack the
time for changes after them and b) the visibility.

Yeah, I'm not so keen on doing all of this post-beta.  We've got enough
stability problems with F10 as it is.  This honestly feels like one of
those features that just isn't 'testable' by Beta, and thus needs to
enact the contingency plan.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KernelModesetting#Contingency_Plan

How do things look for that contingency plan.  Is it even possible at
this point?

If we're not going to enable it by default, I would rather the modesetting code be included, but disabled by default, and let users enable it on the kernel command line.

-- Chris