Re: what is keeping per-user state outside of user's $HOME ?

Matthias Clasen wrote:

Why don't we stop all this blind guessing, and attach a debugger to the
panel instead ? It would be so much easier...

Because I'm not a gdb expert, and I don't know what to look for in gnome-panel, or even why you think gnome-panel is the place to look?

If you wouldn't mind helping out with some more detailed suggestions, perhaps offline from this list, then I'm willing to try.

--
John Ellson