make force-tag gone

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Sep 11 21:00:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Denis Leroy <denis at poolshark.org> wrote:
> Josh Boyer wrote:
>>
>> Yes.  It was decided to leave the removal, and to also remove TAG_OPTS=-F.
>> The decision was not unanimous.  I believe the meeting summary will have
>> links to the relevant discussion.
>
> Well there's no question we can all live without force-tag :-), it's merely
> a minor annoyance that packagers will have to deal with.
>
> But I'm really bothered by the message this is sending. Infrastructure takes
> away a tool that was useful and popular amongst packagers, with NO effort to
> provide an alternative or at least some workaround for failed builds
> retagging. This is not cool. I would like to kindly request that
> infrastructure makes some effort to come up with a solution (i.e a
> reasonably short term one, not just "migrate to new SCM").

Actually, migrating to a new SCM would likely kill the notion of
force-tag altogether because one of the leading candidates to replace
CVS (git) wants strong guarantees that tags are not mutable (hg and
bzr may do the same but I'm not as familiar with them to say).

What I'd like to see though is a Makefile option that will check out a
fresh copy of the package in a separate directory and run "make srpm"
to see if everything has been committed to CVS that will be needed to
create the SRPM.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"