SOLVED: Re: what is keeping per-user state outside of user's $HOME ?

Matthias Clasen wrote:
[ gnome-panel ]
[ gnome-panel ]

You probably want to break in panel_lock_screen_action_available and see
what is going on there.

Thanks for that clue.   I've found my problem.

It turns out that there is a new feature:
    System  -> Preferences -> Lockdown Editor
which is provided by a package called "pessulus" (Obvious! How could I miss it!)

This gui allows the administrator to enable/disable certain features for each user. It stores the setting away somewhere in gconf magic-land. I couldn't work out where but it definitely isn't under $HOME.

I think what happened was that I installed this new "pessulus" package, then tried it out from the command line to see what it did, randomly clicked on some buttons, then promptly forgot about it and didn't know how to get it back.

--
John Ellson