Re: Beware: External repos can break key transition

On 12.09.2008 10:06, Harald Hoyer wrote:
Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
On 11.09.2008 20:36, Callum Lerwick wrote:
$ sudo yum update
Loaded plugins: fedorakmod, refresh-packagekit
[...]
So, an update in the Repo That Can Not Be Named, depends on an update in
the updates-newkey repo, not yet available,
Just to set things straight: it's available for about 36 hours now afaics:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-September/msg00385.html The xine-lib-extras-nonfree package hit the livna repo about half a hour later.

thus breaking the transaction due to yum's pedantry.
Something to be aware of if you have non-technical users using Livna,
and you didn't think you needed the skip-broken plugin...
That is a well known problem; I put it up for broader discussion how to best fix it and described the root of the problem in details about one month ago:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-August/msg00041.html

I'm all for solving that problem, but that afaics should happen on the yum level and thus in Fedora and not in Livna/RPM Fusion. Seems skip-broken is the best answer, but that's not enabled by default in Fedora. Livna/RPM Fusion could fix that via its release-packages, but that's not nice and I want to avoid going that route.

Such things trouble/scare common end-users a lot.

Sure, that's why I one month ago tried to kick of the discussion to find a solution (see the mail that is quoted above). But I didn't really succeed afaics. :-/

There should be a "More Information" button in PackageKit dialogs, which explains the situation and that this might only just take some days to resolve.

I'd *much* prefer if users don't run into that trouble at all. I currently think that the best solution is the one outlined in this sub thread:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-August/msg00151.html

E.g. enable skip-broken by default, but show the error to the user if security updates are involved *or* if the problem doesn't vanish within 72 hours after it had been hit on the client for the first time.

For those cases a '"More Information" button in PackageKit' is likely a really good idea.

CU
knurd