Possible gcc issue

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Fri Sep 12 09:15:37 UTC 2008

Jochen Schmitt wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:01:59 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> Not a gcc bug and no bug in glibc.  This is inline asm which requires
>> registers which for some reason are not available.
>
>> Compile this file with __NO_STRING_INLINES defined.
>
> Thank you for your hint, I'm now able to build the package on
> koji.
>
> But I have the following question: Why does this issue occurs
> only on rawhide in the i386-architecture. On F-9 or on other
> architectures this issue doesn't occurs.

The i386 is very short of registers and that asm uses most of them.
gcc can't find any scrtach registers to use as temporaries.  It's
lucky that this worked in the past.  I'm not sure that I agree with
Uli that this is no bug in glibc -- it looks to me like this inline
should be disabled or deleted.

Andrew.