Beware: External repos can break key transition

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 10:25:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 10:27 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> I'd *much* prefer if users don't run into that trouble at all. I
> currently think that the best solution is the one outlined in this sub
> thread:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-August/msg00151.html
>
> E.g. enable skip-broken by default

The yum backend in PackageKit tries to enable --skip-broken, but it
doesn't seem to make much difference.

> For those cases a '"More Information" button in PackageKit' is likely
> a really good idea.

The text I've got already is this:

case PK_ERROR_ENUM_FILE_CONFLICTS:
	text = _("Two packages provide the same file.\n"
		 "This is usually due to mixing packages for different software sources.");
	break;
case PK_ERROR_ENUM_PACKAGE_CONFLICTS:
	text = _("Multiple packages exist that are not compatible with each other.\n"
		 "This is usually due to mixing packages for different software sources.");
	break;
case PK_ERROR_ENUM_REPO_NOT_AVAILABLE:
	text = _("There was a (possibly temporary) problem connecting to a software source\n"
		 "Please check the detailed error for further details.");
	break;
case PK_ERROR_ENUM_NO_MORE_MIRRORS_TO_TRY:
	text = _("Required data could not be found on any of the configured software sources.\n"
		 "There were no more download mirrors that could be tried.");
	break;

I don't mind adding a clickable link in the dialog, but the data needs
to be translated and so I would much prefer to point the user to a yelp
page with all the extra info. I've a horrible feeling that this help
text would be very distro specific.

How would you improve those error messages, and what "extra information"
would you provide to the user?

My personal view is that by showing an error dialog, we've lost, and
should avoid doing it at all costs.

Richard.