Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 12 23:22:07 UTC 2008

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Matthew Woehlke
> <mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>>  No,
>> thanks; I'd rather have X fail to start and dump me at a normal console from
>> which I can fix the problem *without rebooting*, much less needing to dig up
>> a rescue disk :P.
>
> I believe we already do that today, and am not advocating removing
> that functionality if possible.

Right. If X doesn't work, we currently fall back on non-X consoles.

You said earlier:
> We're going to be removing the legacy non-X system consoles by default
> in the long run.

...which would cause a problem there.

Maybe we're simply miscommunicating. Did you mean "we are going to
arrange so that you never see a non-X console unless you a: ask for one
(ctrl-alt-fX) or b: something goes wrong"? That's not how I read that
the first time (now, I'm simply unsure what you meant). If that's the
case, cool, forget what I said :-). Just so long as those "legacy non-X
consoles" don't cease to exist, I've no gripes making them as hidden as
you like for people that don't go looking for them.

--
Matthew
What? This signature /again/?