Re: Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal fedoraproject org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 19:02 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>
>> I'm talking about the direction and technology of the desktop product;
>> what server images, embedded etc. do is an entirely different matter.
>

> Desktop Product? We don't make a desktop product.

The live CD image, combined with the default comps tree from
"gnome-desktop" is what I consider the desktop product.

> We make a linux
> distribution.

I am certainly not here to make a "linux distribution", which I
consider a derogatory term.  It implies that all we do is take the
linux kernel and a bunch of tarballs we found on the internet, compile
them, and throw the binaries over the wall.  The goal is rather to
make a compelling and useful free desktop operating system.  To do
that, you need to make choices about how the operating system works,
and how pieces fit together.  If people want an OS that tries to
support every possible configuration of every tarball that can be
found on the Internet, and is consequently near-paralyzed by choice
and is only able to make releases every 5 years, debian.org is -->
that way.