Today's (9/12) rawhide all users = unable to authenticate user!

Nigel Jones dev at nigelj.com
Sat Sep 13 05:53:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 23:35 -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> darrell pfeifer wrote:
> > 2008/9/12 Dr. Diesel <dr.diesel at gmail.com>
> >
> >> Booting normally to GDM, using normal root login gives me unable to
> >> authenticate user.  If I boot to init3, my user/pass works just fine, then I
> >> can startx.  I attempted passwd and reset my pass with no luck!
> >>
> >> Anybody else?  Should I file this under GDM?
> >>

> > The gdm changelog says
> >
> > * Tue Sep 09 2008 Jon McCann <jmccann at redhat.com> - 1:2.23.92-2
> > - Disallow root login
> >
> >  So it is intentional
>
> So... what exactly are we supposed to do when the user login gets hosed?
> Reach for a rescue disk? (Seriously, what's with the sudden trend to
> make fixing problems harder by making recovery modes inaccessible in an
> apparent bid to hide the "confusing/potentially dangerous" bits of the
> system from the user?)
>From memory GDM has always done this, (I personally don't use GDM, I
favour KDM), I remember some FC5 machines in particular that required a
GDM configuration hack to allow root logins.

Overall, I'm in favour of not allowing root GUI logins by default, I'd
imagine we are still going to always have direct root CLI logins.

What I'd like to see, is sudo being setup by default (full access w/
password) for the first user (as configured during firstboot).

--
Nigel Jones <dev at nigelj.com>