configuring sudo by default (was: Re: Today's (9/12) rawhide all users = unable to authenticate user!)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Sep 13 12:02:12 UTC 2008

On 13.09.2008 12:16, Martin Sourada wrote:
>> What I'd like to see, is sudo being setup by default (full access w/
>> password) for the first user (as configured during firstboot).

I'm not sure if that's a good idea, as that could lead to unwilling
side-effect as that's easily forgotten by those not familiar with this
behavior in Fedora.

But a checkbox with a text "User is the sysadmin for this system" might
makes sense in firstboot -- that checkbox could not only configure sudo
and/or PolicyKit access but also do other things like setting up a alias
to /etc/aliases to make sure the user in question retrieves the mail
send to root.

> Please no! Sudo is not the good way to do this kind of things. There is
> PolicyKit for doing such things correctly.

Then please tell me how for example read /var/log/messages or other log
files from /var/log/ using PolicyKit from a {gnome,kde}-terminal(¹) with
an easy to remember and fast to type command (like "sudo"). tia -- I'm
really curious if such a command exists.

CU
knurd

(¹) something most of us have done in the past or regularly do