The state of resolv.conf

I have an itch. I connect to work using openvpn. Works great, except that openvpn does not modify resolv.conf to add work's dns servers (now available through vpn). It does that on Windows though! I cannot expect openvpn or (any other application) to simply overwrite /etc/resolv.conf at will, but what is fedora missing to get an elegant solution to this problem ?