Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Sep 15 15:28:30 UTC 2008

Le Lun 15 septembre 2008 17:17, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :

> On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 16:22 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
>> Text support is hard. Text support requires ongoing maintenance
>> (even
>> at iso-functionnality). Our GUI environment has gotten good enough
>> people that used to do console maintenance have less and less
>> incentive to do so,
> Rubbish - You are comparing apples and oranges.
>
> Using consoles has completely different use-cases than desktops.

Ability to use the keyboard properly, to display the system text
documents, or use the local screen is the same.

I'm not complaining the console is lacking fancy GL acceleration. I'm
complaining the console is sucking more and more at text which is sort
of the console point.

> This
> thought might be incomprehensible news to kids who grew up with
> Windows,

The argument being?

> Of cause it's more convenient to use an xterm than a console. But this
> already had been the case 20 years ago - it doesn't invalidate reasons
> for using consoles.

It does if the gap between them continues to grow.

--
Nicolas Mailhot