Re: Non-X text mode console

David A. Wheeler wrote:
I routinely use text mode console without X, for a
variety of reasons.  For example:
* I have a number of systems (servers) at runlevel 3
* console is critically important when X fails. "Log in with ssh"
  doesn't work when ssh or the network fails.

Have I missed something...big? If I can't ssh into those boxes, can't I have someone just use the console in person? Some of these boxes are ooold - 600mhz 256mb, which BTW, works superbly at runlevel 3. X would be a real strain, and is generally not even installed.

Tell me it ain't so.

sean